Skip to main content

I wanna smash that like button

 So for the last few months, I've been on a bit of  a classic rock journey thanks to the world's time machine, YouTube. I've been finding the Rolling Stones, Queen, Black Sabbath (which is who I'm listening to as I write this). They're all good. I'm looking for a band where I just reflexively like their music...I'll be honest, I'm listening to OneRepublic too. At least it's not Cardi B, okay? I can justify listening to OneRepublic. I just can't help but think about the progression music. Radio Gaga by Queen was ahead of its time, because it was written in 1984 and it was about the death of radio music. But I guess Roger Taylor didn't account for the 90's grunge rock era. That was cool. Pop punk in the 2000's was cool. There are quite a few pop/pop rock anthems I remember from 2010-2012. Some Nights and We Are Young/Hey Soul Sister especially. I remember those songs. And also, yes, I remember how people hated Justin Bieber. One time the DJ played Bieber at the skate rink where my class was, and I remember people screaming like their ears were bleeding. At least his music was bad enough to bring people together in our hatred of it! 

But now, I hate to hate on Cardi and Megan, but is it music? It's not even dance music. WAP is too slow for me to dance to, I gotta say. And also I'm noticing some trends like that baby talk voice-it's not going away but I hate it. Like why is it a thing? Taylor Swift doesn't use that voice and she kills it all the time on the radio whenever she releases something. But I don't like her music anymore, not my style. And you know what's weird? 

I spent like 2 hours dancing to "2010s Party Hits" yesterday. Are today's hits danceable? Maybe not, based on what I've heard. I don't spend that much time listening to the radio, but it's not good. It's not anything. The worst part of tracks like Cardi B's and Dua Lipa's is that it sounds so produced. More produced than ever. It's like Disney's Star Wars (the most recent 3): No amount of CGI can cover up a confusing, contradictory plot and a badly written character. No amount of production and backing track can cover up bad vocals and worse lyrics. Maybe it's due to my not listening to the radio, but um...I can't think of any truly meaningful or creative songs anymore. Not off the top of my head. I would have been able to from 2014 backwards. I don't know what happened, man. I'm 19. I know I sound like an old man complaining, and I should just get with the program. But I think a theme in my life is that I'm not getting with any program. You can try to make me, and I can try to make myself, but...I'm not another brick in the wall!

It's just so sad that recent music isn't even bad enough to warrant screams from whoever's in the room. It's not good enough to pay a second thought to. It's just there. I hate to do this Roger Taylor, but radio did become background noise. 

Comments