Skip to main content

I wanna smash that like button

 So for the last few months, I've been on a bit of  a classic rock journey thanks to the world's time machine, YouTube. I've been finding the Rolling Stones, Queen, Black Sabbath (which is who I'm listening to as I write this). They're all good. I'm looking for a band where I just reflexively like their music...I'll be honest, I'm listening to OneRepublic too. At least it's not Cardi B, okay? I can justify listening to OneRepublic. I just can't help but think about the progression music. Radio Gaga by Queen was ahead of its time, because it was written in 1984 and it was about the death of radio music. But I guess Roger Taylor didn't account for the 90's grunge rock era. That was cool. Pop punk in the 2000's was cool. There are quite a few pop/pop rock anthems I remember from 2010-2012. Some Nights and We Are Young/Hey Soul Sister especially. I remember those songs. And also, yes, I remember how people hated Justin Bieber. One time the DJ played Bieber at the skate rink where my class was, and I remember people screaming like their ears were bleeding. At least his music was bad enough to bring people together in our hatred of it! 

But now, I hate to hate on Cardi and Megan, but is it music? It's not even dance music. WAP is too slow for me to dance to, I gotta say. And also I'm noticing some trends like that baby talk voice-it's not going away but I hate it. Like why is it a thing? Taylor Swift doesn't use that voice and she kills it all the time on the radio whenever she releases something. But I don't like her music anymore, not my style. And you know what's weird? 

I spent like 2 hours dancing to "2010s Party Hits" yesterday. Are today's hits danceable? Maybe not, based on what I've heard. I don't spend that much time listening to the radio, but it's not good. It's not anything. The worst part of tracks like Cardi B's and Dua Lipa's is that it sounds so produced. More produced than ever. It's like Disney's Star Wars (the most recent 3): No amount of CGI can cover up a confusing, contradictory plot and a badly written character. No amount of production and backing track can cover up bad vocals and worse lyrics. Maybe it's due to my not listening to the radio, but um...I can't think of any truly meaningful or creative songs anymore. Not off the top of my head. I would have been able to from 2014 backwards. I don't know what happened, man. I'm 19. I know I sound like an old man complaining, and I should just get with the program. But I think a theme in my life is that I'm not getting with any program. You can try to make me, and I can try to make myself, but...I'm not another brick in the wall!

It's just so sad that recent music isn't even bad enough to warrant screams from whoever's in the room. It's not good enough to pay a second thought to. It's just there. I hate to do this Roger Taylor, but radio did become background noise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queen + Adam Lambert...My thoughts

     Being a 200's-2010's child, I only knew Adam Lambert as the guy who sang "Whattaya Want From Me." Sometimes the intro to that song would pop into my head and I would use my memory to remember what that song was. I just kept thinking "WHAT is that song?!" I distantly recognized the 2009 pop hit.  But finally I looked up Adam Lambert, and suffice it to say I am duly impressed. Even if the Queen fandom is split down the middle, I am impressed. He is the only other man to sing in Queen. He's not Freddie Mercury, but he never tried to be. Even from his American Idol days, it's evident that Adam has a big, theatrical, rock-Broadway-ish style and stage presence.       In the Netflix doc (which I've watched 3 times now, lol!) They talk about how he's not Freddie, but Mercury himself wouldn't want a cheap impersonator. As Roger Taylor said in the doc, "good luck on the cruise ship," with regards to those who think an imitation would...

Dumpster-Fire Disney

May the 4th be with you.  So, in my last post I talked at length about Star Wars, the seminal saga of the 20th century (we love alliteration!) It was amazing. Still amazing, and when I watched the original 3 movies, all I could think about was "Why don't we have hoverboards and lightsabers?!" Seriously, Back To The Future thought we'd have hoverboards in 2001. So where are the hoverboards? Get it together, Silicon Valley! We don't need electric cars. We need hoverboards.  But all jokes aside, I'm gonna talk about the Disney sequels, cause boy, are they bad. They are not good at all. Yes, box-office good, but with audiences and fans, it went over like an atomic bomb. Yeah, that Palpatine thing was clearly the only thing the writers could think of. But why did Rey have to be related to Palpatine? There were so many other Jedi like Windu, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan- that could have been an epic story. One that people actually liked.   I was inspired by the lameness of the ...

The Marvel Cinematic Universe and Harry Potter are the Defining Stories of the 21st Century So Far

    How lucky are we? I got to be alive at the same time as  Avengers Endgame and Harry Potter. I was reading some articles on why Endgame is the best movie of all time, and honestly, it made me realize how lucky I am to have been old enough to live through the release of Endgame. Endgame and the MCU is to my generation what Star Wars was to my parents' generation. I particularly admire what the MCU did with those movies because it is a feat of writing and storytelling. It's "a once in a lifetime accomplishment". You can watch all 23 as stand-alone films, because they work that way, or you can do a marathon and see the interconnectivity of it all as well. It works that way too. And I've done both. I have to say, I think I prefer watching them stand-alone, irregardless of the little nitty gritty easter eggs from other movies. Granted, Endgame basically asks the audience to watch 2012 Avengers, Thor:The Dark World, Age of Ultron and Guardians Of The Galaxy,  but it...